Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Leg

I swear this is the story that never ends. Seriously.

Well, a lot has happened since my last post. I saw a cardiologist to evaluate the blood clots/swelling in my leg. He suggested ace bandage wrapping to try to get gravity and pressure to do the work for me. #FAIL

The cardiologist forwarded my file to the Radiology department head at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. The day Dr. Long got my file (Friday afternoon), he called and booked me for Monday morning angiography. Eek.

So this past Monday morning, mom and Eric loaded me up in the car and took me to Cincy for my procedure. We had to be there at 5:30am and my procedure was at 7:30am. Doc was hoping for it to be outpatient, but of course, nothing has been easy with my leg issues this summer! :p

He was a wonderful doctor, as was his entire team. They took care of me both mornings during the procedures and I can't say enough good things about them. I guess it makes a huge difference when you are under conscious sedation! ha (meaning I couldn't feel anything, but could talk to them the entire time)

Here's how my hospital stay went down:

Monday
-registered at hospital and got ready for procedure
-met Dr. Long in the operating room
-had an xray of my body looking for clots; found the large one still remaining in my pelvic region
-they placed a filter in through my left groin area to catch any potential clot material trying to travel (they hope to take it out in the next month)
-they went in behind my right knee and tried to break up the clot via a water jet stream (not sure on the technical term of that one, cause that's how they explained it to me!)
-kept me in the hospital overnight on a heparin (blood thinner) drip and lying flat on my back...ugh!
-gave me morphine for back pain due to those uncomfortable beds and it knocked me out almost immediately! ha

Tuesday
-woke me bright and early for the next procedure
-they placed a permanent stent in my right leg to keep the vein open; clot had reduced in size, but vein wasn't as open as they'd prefer
-removed the tubes/needles in the 2 incision points and closed me up
-rested in my room, finally able to get out of the bed and sit up
-received 2 blood thinner shots before being released (my pharmacy couldn't get it ordered in until the next day)
-came home and realized had an itchy rash on my leg

Wednesday
-woke up to a seepy red rash covering the majority of the back of my right leg
-family doc prescribed a cream to clear it up since I can't have any steroids due to blood thinners
-also developed a lovely sickness that our family is passing around (thanks to the girls being back in school with everyone's germs!) and also can't take anything for that due to blood thinners :(

So now, here we are...my leg is not seeping any more. Thank the heavens! It still looks disgusting. If you are on Instagram, you saw the picture. Ick.

Good news is - swelling in my leg is improving. Yay! Color in my leg is getting back to normal. Yay!

Slowly but surely, I am getting better...battling this rash and cold and then hopefully, I'll be in the home stretch. None too soon 12 weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com